12825 Ventura Blvd,
Studio City, California
This entry is unfinished, incomplete, or planned for future research. Weird California makes no promise that it will ever be finished and gives no time table for a completion date. Additionally the information below may be inaccurate, incomplete, or just plain gibberish of notes. If you have any information on this entry, please feel free to Contact Us or leave a comment below. Thank you.
Susan who travels to LA multiple times a year, had this to say about a March 2011 trip where she stayed in the haunted Sportsmen's Lodge:
We come to LA several times a year. The last time we were there was March 2011. We stayed in the Sportsman Lodge for three nights.
On the first night about 5 a.m. my husband was in one bed, my grandaughter and i were in the other bed. I woke up the same time he did. I woke up because I was out from under the covers and half of my body had a severely cold chill and the other side was sweating it woke me up. He screamed and hollered my name. He was on his stomach and a spirit grabbed his neck and shoulder and pushed his face into the mattress as hard as it could. He felt fingers digging in his shoulder and he had 2 red marks on his neck for some 4 days afterward. We finally got back to sleep and about 6:30 the spirit stuck again. He was laying on his back and half asleep and it grabbed in the pelvic area and pushed him into the headboard. Afterwards he saw a shadow on the connector door for about 2 or 3 minutes then it vanished.
We moved, the mainteance man who helped us admitted it was very haunted in that hotel especially on the fifth floor. The next night my grandaughter was in the tub (she is 8) and I was in there with her, suddenly something pulled her hair and started playing with it for about 20 seconds then passed by me, I felt the cold chill again, we summoned the manager who said we were crazy and that she had worked there 20 years and had never heard of such. As she turned around, the bellboy with her nodded his head yes. We were moved again, my grandaughter was so frightened she was screaming and crying and would not stop, the last time we were not bothered.
I later talked with a maid who admitted the whole place is haunted, I also talked with a another employee who sees ghosts thru out the hotel on a regular basis.
Everybody thinks we are crazy, I stick by my story, it is the absolute truth. Have you heard of any hauntings at this place? I think it needs investigating.
Susan provided us with an update and more research on the Lodge in 8/2012:
I found out that Bobby Kennedy stayed there on the 5th floor the night before he was killed, a woman was killed (shot in the head) at the sportsman lodge just this past March, Jack Elam the old B western cowboy had a penthouse room there and lived there many years before he died. Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, John Wayne, and many others came to relax there on a continual basis. It was built in the late 1880s. It had a lot of property including trout farms, riding trails and the stars brought their families their to relax. I found thru research on the internet in the early years (1880s-1910s) were a especially violent time for the lodge with the lady who owned it killed. (I found this info once and cant find it again).
I also read where Alfalfa (our gang) was killed in a bar that sat on the lodge property which is no longer part of the lodge. i am not to sure on that one though, I could never find anything that positively stated it was in fact on that property however it was in studio city.
Harry Houdini's house is very close by and from everything i have read Studio City has a lot of old homes that are haunted and the town itself is commented on a whole lot in stories as being a town of zombies. I am still researching, this. It is very interesting to me and i am continuing my research. Keep in touch if you find out anything on the lodge thanks Susan
- Chris of Fresno,, California on 2017-07-16 said:
- A few years ago me, my sister and her fiancé stayed at the sportsmens lodge for one night and had a weird experience to say the least. It started off normal but soon got creepier when we were about to go to bed and heard a tug on our room door as if someone was trying to get in. My sisters fiancé got up to go check the hallway to see if anyone could be seen running off because we thought it was just some hooligans playing a prank on guests. To our surprise there was nobody out in the hall. We decided to just forget about it and went back to bed. A few moments later we noticed someone tugging on the hotel door once again and this time I ran to the door and opened the door up immediately sticking my head out expecting to see someone at least in the distance and there was nobody... we decided to switch rooms to see if the problem would go away if we were in a different room and even asked the front desk if there had been any paranormal activity before and one of the employees confirmed that there had been reports of haunting there. Once we were settled in to our room we were glad that the door tugging had stopped and had all fallen fast asleep. I was awaken in the middle of the night only to see a white transparent figure floating in the corner of the room next to the TV set, at the time I must have thought I was dreaming and just fallen back asleep. The next day I began to tell my sis and bro in law about my experience and he explained that he too saw the white transparent figure in the room as well but thought the same thing I did and fell back asleep.
- ROXANNA of YUMA , AZ on 2013-08-08 said:
- I stayed at the Sportsman Lodge on July 7th 2013 with my husband and my two kids and 8 year old and my 6 month old and had a very weird expirence as well. I was laying in bed and whatching tv, my husband and my oldest son were already asleep on one bed, while I was on the other close to my infant in his play pin where he was sleeping. I turned off the TV and was falling asleep when I see a women on the corner of the room staring at me and ponting her finger at me like if I had done something wrong, she seemed mad at me, she was blond her hair was short upto her cheeks. I suddenly just got up and turned on the TV and she was gone, I figured I was just sleeping and had a bad dream but is seemed so real. I was a little aprehensive to go back to sleep since my six month old was in his play pin next to my bed and I was scared for him. I fell asleep maybe half an hour later and turned off the TV and suddenly I feel alot of pressure on my chest and my throat and I realized I was being choked, I got up coughing and I started to cry I relized something weird and abnormal had just happened to me I was so scared my husband got up and laid next to me. I could not sleep all night and I left the TV on all night, the room I stayed in was on the first floor close to the elevator on the back enterance. I thought it had been my imagination because nobody in my party experienced this but after I got home I googled to see if anyone had died in the hotel only to find out all these stories.
- Kathleen of Bel air, Maryland on 2013-07-16 said:
- July 2013 my husband, 24 year old daughter, her 27 year old boyfriend and myself spent 1 night at the Sportsman Lodge LA Ca, Studio city. We shared a room on the 3rd floor. We all went to sleep around
10-11Pm. During the night we were awakened by 2 horrifying screams from my
daughter. She said that instead of her
boyfriend there was a zombie looking
creature in bed next to her. She kept saying
she was sorry about screaming. We all
went back to sleep. While I was asleep an old women tapped me on the shoulder and said "Kathleen its time to get up." I opened my eyes and the room was totally dark. I thought at the time that it was my deceased Mother waking me up. The next morning my
Daughter checked the internet to see if the Sportsman Lodge was haunted. I am glad we only stayed one night.
- scott of shelbyville, ky on 2013-06-22 said:
- I saw a black shadow in the corner of the room one evening. I was on the 5th floor, back side of the pool. There was no way the shadow came through the curtains from the outside so it had to be inside. Plus I had been there 3 days and for some reason my nose became very stuffy when sitting in that corner, but cleared up almost right away when moving across the room. This happened 8 or 9 times while I was there. I couldn't find anything there that would cause that.
- Dark Penguin on 2012-10-12 said:
- I'm not sure how there could have been a bar in the Lodge where "Alfalfa" was killed, but is now no longer on the property. Well, OK, at least not in the same physical location. A brief inspection of the property, even via Google Earth, shows how much--and how oddly--the main building has grown. What part, if any still dates back to 1880? Impossible to tell, I'd say.
- susan of nashville, tn on 2012-09-04 said:
- sorry i missed your time being at the lodge, but to answer your questions. No their was no incident at all in the rooms prior to the attack. After the first attack, we saw a blob on the connecting doors which actually looked like a shadow that was on the door several minutes then just vanished. No, this has never happened at all to anyone in my family. we were on the 2nd floor in the back bldg. That is the building on the back side of the pool as you walk straight thru from the lobby. i cant remember the room number but i know where the room is. Go in bldg.turn left, next to the last room on the right side 2nd floor. the third floor get off elevators, turn right then right end of hall on left, very last room.
- Chrissy Piccolo of Seattle, WA on 2012-06-21 said:
- Hi! I am an amateur paranormal investigator and will be staying at the lodge July 18-23. Can you please tell me what room numbers you were in, were there any other disturbances in the rooms just prior to or right after each incident? Had this ever happened to you or members of your family before? Do you remember specifically who you spoke to that confirmed the hauntings? I'm planning to do an investigation and would like to request one of the room #'s to stay in. Thanks so much! Chrissy :)
Last Edited: 2012-08-16