The Legend of Joaquin Murrieta
Plaque - Clayton Historical Society
6101 Main Street, Clayton, California 94517
This entry is unfinished, incomplete, or planned for future research. Weird California makes no promise that it will ever be finished and gives no time table for a completion date. Additionally the information below may be inaccurate, incomplete, or just plain gibberish of notes. If you have any information on this entry, please feel free to Contact Us or leave a comment below. Thank you.
- Mexican bandit who avenged the rape and murder of his wife (some stories say sister)
- Robin Hood of El Dorado
- Hunted down by a man named Love who took his head and put it in a jar, which was presumed lost during the earthquake of 1906.
- Gang included three fingered Jack, who's hand was also stored in a jar.
- the 1998 movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Antonio Banderas, Mask of Zorro, pulls heavily upon the myth. Antonio Banderas plays the brother of Joaquin Murrieta and eventually becomes Zorro.
- Haunted Places: The National Directory (2002) by Hauck, Dennis, p: 55
- Bad Company (1977) by Jackson, Joseph Henry, p: 3 - 40
- Myths and Mysteries of California (2011) by Jones, Ray with Joe Lubow, p: 53 - 63
- Heroes, Villains, and Ghosts: Folklore of Old California (1984) by Lee, Hector, p: 108 - 117
- Strange But True San Francisco (2005) by Montanarelli, Lisa and Ann Harrison, p: 130 - 131
- Little Known Tales in California History (1997) by Pryor, Alton, p: 45 - 50
- Ghosts, bandits, and legends of old Monterey (1972) by Reinstedt, Randall A, p: 20 - 24
- Tales, Treasures and Pirates () by Reinstedt, Randall A, p: 26 - 29
- Haunted San Francisco (2004) by Richards, Rand, p: 177 - 181
- Spooky California (2005) by Schlosser, S. E., p: 57 - 62
- Haunted Southern California (2009) by Stansfield Jr., Charles A., p: 96-98
- Haunted Monterey Peninsula (2009) by Yasuda, Anita, p: 61 - 64
Last Edited: 0000-00-00