4400 Octagon Way,
San Luis Obispo, California
Originally built in 1906 and called the Pereira Octagon Barn, this structure was built as part of an actual working dairy. Due to its size the barn could feed about 1000 cows.
The barn is 78 feet wide and 45 feet tall, which includes the ten foot tall octagonal cupola on top. It is about 5000 square feet.
On the 1950s the barn no longer operated as part of a dairy, and was now used to store feed and equipment for a cattle operation. By the 1990s the barn was in poor shape, and disuse caused it to need extensive renovation. After several years, the barn was restored, and now sits on the National Historical Place Registry.
Today, the barn is located off of South Higuera Street. Its mailbox is even a mini replica of the eight sided structure. Future plans include turning the barn and the other surrounding structures into an event space along with a museum (mostly about the barn's history and the county's history in dairy farming). The area will also include a bicycle trail head.
It is one of only two octagon barns in the state of California, with the other in the Northern California town of Windsor. The barn in Windsor is located on private property and is sadly not visible from the road.
Last Edited: 2016-03-02