World's Largest Artichoke
11261 Merritt St.,
Castroville, the Artichoke Center of the World, not surprisingly plays host to the "World's Largest Artichoke". Built in 1972, at 20 feet tall and 12 feet wide, the artichoke made out of concrete and re-bar stands before a local business aptly named "The Giant Artichoke". The restaurant and giant artichoke were created by Ray Bei. Artichokes at the restaurant are served in a variety of ways including but not limited to: frozen, fried, quiched and steamed.
The Giant Artichoke stands near the intersection of 156 and 183, pretty close to where 156 becomes route 1. Monterey County produces almost all of the United States artichokes.
- Steve of Las Vegas, NV on 2012-01-30 said:
- My sister in law lives in the alleyway directly behind the giant artichoke. This has been a local hit for years! Just remember the place is all family owned, but if you plan on eating there eat at the wine and cheese deli section of the giant artichoke. They have the best deep fried artichokes and sandwiches California has to offer. John Madden often stops here when passing through with his bus.
- Doug of Clovis, Calif on 2008-07-11 said:
- This was really cool. I went and saw this last year (2007). I have been that way many times, but did not know about it till i read about it in the book and saw it on the web.
- Northern California Curiosities (2005) by Rubin, Saul, p: 147 - 148
- New Roadside America (1992) by Wilkins, Mike; Smith, Ken; Kirby, Doug, p: 143
Last Edited: 2007-01-23